January 25, 2017
Diesel vs. Gas Engines: Understanding the Benefits
If you’re shopping for a truck or SUV, you may be faced with the decision of choosing between a diesel or gas engine.
Making an informed decision is critical to making the best choice for you and your family. At Ranch Hand we have the accessories to outfit your new purchase, but we also have the experience to help you make the right choice for you. Whether you’re looking for more fuel efficiency or a truck that can haul larger loads, a diesel engine can offer plenty of benefits to make your choice easier. But first, you should learn a bit more about the engines themselves.
How Are Gas and Diesel Engines Different?
The major difference between diesel and gas engines is the actual combustion aspect, or basically what allows the engine to fire. In a diesel engine, the entire system relies on high levels of compression, which ignites the fuel. In a gas-powered engine, there is a spark plug that plays the role of the ignitor. While this may seem more efficient, it actually creates more need for parts and maintenance, as spark plugs need to be replaced at regular intervals.
As you may already know, diesel engines require their own fuel, which is generally at a different pump in your local gas station. Diesel fuel and gas fuel burn at different temperatures, so they are not cross-compatible. Diesel burns at much higher temperatures, which can cause the engine to be more efficient. When deciding whether a gas or diesel car is best for you, be sure to look into the benefits.
What are 5 Benefits of Diesel Engines?
When you choose a diesel engine, you will enjoy plenty of benefits, including:
- Improved Efficiency – Diesel engines are famous for their efficiency. During operations, they convert fuel into power more efficiently than gas engines, allowing you to drive further without spending as much at the pump. This also goes hand in hand with the fact that diesel is generally more cost-effective versus regular gasoline.
- Low Maintenance Costs – Gas-powered engines rely on spark ignition, which requires multiple parts to complete. This can include spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor caps, and ignition coils, which need to be replaced regularly. Diesel engines do not require these parts, helping to curb the cost of regular maintenance services.
- Better Towing – Diesel engines are known to produce more torque versus gas powered engines. Torque is different than horsepower in that it translates into how much work your truck can actually do as opposed to how fast an engine is spinning. With diesel providing you with more torque, you can tow larger loads without worrying about damage to your engine.
- Smooth, Quiet Ride – While old diesel engines were known for being noisy, newer diesel trucks have benefited from advancements in technology and design. When you purchase a diesel truck or SUV, you can expect a smooth and comfortable ride every time.
- Longevity and Reliability – The biggest benefit of diesel engines is their simplicity. They require fewer parts for ignition and have natural lubricants in their fuel source. As such, you should be able to get more life from a diesel engine versus a gas-powered engine, which can be a great reason to buy.
Purchasing a vehicle is always a big decision, so understanding your options is critical. Diesel engines may require a larger initial investment, however, you will be able to enjoy great benefits and fewer of the headaches that come with gas-powered cars. Whatever your truck choice, you can always protect it with accessories from Ranch Hand.
Outfitting your Diesel Truck or SUV
When you purchase your car, you want to protect it, as well as those who will be riding in it. One way to do this is with accessories and additions that will not only protect your chassis, but also help you get into your truck more easily. At Ranch Hand we offer grille guards, front bumpers, running steps, and plenty of other accessories that can add convenience and style to your diesel truck or SUV!
Diesel engines provide you with improved efficiency, better tow, and a long-lasting truck that can fit all your needs. Add to the fun with accessories from Ranch Hand, and our experienced pickup truck professionals.